Top eCommerce Platforms for 2021
There’s no denying the fact that the online retail sector is a highly competitive industry, and this includes the channels for eCommerce that support it. However, with so many mediums available for businesses, it can be more than a little challenging for anyone to go through all available options to find the solution that will best fit their needs. So, to help those in their search for the right platform, experts from reputable New Orleans web design firms have narrowed down the best ones. Here is a list with a brief description of each one. Keep reading to learn more.
Shopify is an eCommerce platform that was initially established back in 2004 by snowboarding enthusiasts. Little did they know that it would become one of the leading solutions in the industry, with over a million businesses in a hundred and seventy-five countries. Their retailers also cover a broad range of sectors and sizes. The channel usually caters best to SMBs or small and medium-sized businesses that aren’t well-versed when it comes to establishing an online store. Because everything that is required is incorporated into it - from the design to analytics - it becomes a simple affair to create and update the shop.
- Supported verticals. Cosmetics & beauty, consumer electronics, apparel & fashion, beverage & food, home furnishings.
- Price points. Basic Shopify is $29.00 every month, Shopify is $79.00 every month, and Advanced Shopify $299.00 every month.
- Free trial. Shopify comes with a free trial for fourteen days.
- International options. Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland.
- Building features. Product listings are unlimited, custom domain, sales statistics are real-time, inventory tracking, AI personalization, and they offer over seventy templates and themes.
The main advantage of Shopify is its simplicity. Thanks in no small part to its intuitive interface and easy-to-use tools. Those who find themselves lost also have a lot of resources to work with, and it also offers a respectable range of options for every business.
Founded back in 2009 by Mitchell Harper and Eddie Machaalani, BigCommerce is an eCommerce platform with over 700 employees who are distributed across many offices all around the world. It offers merchants enterprise-grade and sophisticated functionality, performance, and customization. Thousands of B2C and B2B companies in over a hundred and fifty countries across various industries use this channel to support their online shops. BigCommerce is advantageous for SMBs that require complex or large catalogs.
- Supported verticals: Everything that Shopify offers with the addition of automotive products, wholesale distribution for B2B, and CBD.
- Price points: Standard is priced at $29.95 per month, Plus is at $79.95 per month, Pro is at $299.95 per month, and the Enterprise level is available only through request. Apart from the inclusion of a trial period, a discount of ten percent is made available for Pro plus packages if the payment option is annual.
- International options: Available through request.
- Building features: Custom domains, unlimited listings for products, limitless file storage and bandwidth, multi-currency, reporting, reviews and ratings, gift cards, free twelve themes, and one-hundred and sixty paid themes, POS software, and shipping integration.
Because of its ease of use, BigCommerce is one of the better platforms to use for beginners. It compares very well to Shopify with usability. However, because it offers more features, its learning curve is a little higher. Another advantage of the channel is that it presents users with the ability to modify and add search engine optimization features like page titles and custom URLs and works well with specialists like New Orleans web design companies. It also enables businesses to sell in different currencies.
For those looking for an open-source platform for eCommerce, Magento is an excellent platform to consider. Originally launched back in 2009 but replaced in 2015 by its second iteration that includes stable features and improved base code, it is a channel for SMBs which have an established demand and the skillset, manpower, and time to create the website. It is a platform with a sizable library that includes over five-thousand extensions. However, it requires a much larger budget than most of its competitors.
- Supported verticals: Sporting goods, home furnishings, beverage & food, apparel & fashion, consumer electronics, cosmetics & beauty.
- Price points: Magento open-source can be used for free. However, anything beyond its offerings will require a fee, like add-ons, development, themes, etc. Magento Commerce, on the other hand, is enterprise-level. The quoted prices are made by sales representatives and can run from fifteen to fifty thousand dollars annually.
- Free trial:
- International options:
- Building features: Integrated payment, shipping, and check-out, optimized for mobile shopping, global selling, management of catalog, site search, instant purchase, and customization options.
As one of the best eCommerce platforms on the market, Magento is easy to recommend. However, it is well worth noting that its advantages come at the price of a steeper learning curve. And if you lack the budget needed for a developer, you’ll need to learn everything yourself.
Tips on how to choose the right platform
Now that we’ve laid out three of the best eCommerce platforms available today, the next step is finding out which one will best suit the needs of your business. Below are some tips to help you out.
- Determine your budget. No matter how good the desired platform is, it won’t make a difference if it won’t fit your budget. So, before you commit, always establish a budget first. It will make the process of narrowing down your options easier.
- Understand the needs of your business. Every online retail business has its goals. The key is to align these objectives with what the platform has to offer. In this way, you’ll have an eCommerce channel that will best support your business.
- Consider all options. It may be challenging to pick an eCommerce platform due to how many are available, but it also presents a unique opportunity to keep costs low. By exploring all options, you’ll be able to keep yourself from spending more than you need.
While the top eCommerce platforms available are listed above, there are plenty of other options that are available for your business. If you are unable to find what you need with what is listed above, don’t fret. There’s bound to be one that you and your selected New Orleans web design agency can make use of.